Saturday 21 November 2015

Broken Families

I'm sorry for the lack of posts, I know I should have mentioned something before now but I had a family member admitted to hospital and unfortunately they passed away. I have been grieving with my family for the loss. All of this aside the last couple of posts have strayed from where I originally planned on this blog going.

I will be taking a break for a bit to deal with the loss and work out where this story is going.



I was pacing, I only ever paced when something was bothering me and right now I had so much on my shoulders it was becoming too much.

After Emery cornered me in my apartment and I told her what happened with Damon and Nathan she tried to make me see reason and not think that Spencer is spying on me but it just didn’t make sense and I knew I had to speak to Spencer about it all but I didn’t know how to even bring it up with him.

And then there was what my mother had told me. I still hadn’t told anyone but I had a feeling that maybe Sutton and Emery knew but didn’t have the heart to say anything until I mentioned it. We were from a small town, everyone knew everyone and their parents knew my mother.

So here I was pacing in the airport waiting for the passengers to get off their flight so I could have one of these conversations. Was I doing the right thing and having this one first?

“Dri” I heard my name being called out and I looked up to see my very frustrated sister heading in my direction. I gave her smile but the scowl on her face just became worse. “What is so important that I had to get on a plane, why couldn’t you?”

Lee had a good point. Normally, I was the one that got on a plane if I had the weekend free so we could see each other but this time I couldn’t. I couldn’t deal with Ariana and all the questions about Damon since I hadn’t told my sister we broke up. In fact I had been ignoring Damon’s calls since the weekend and I’m just glad that he hasn’t turned up at the apartment yet.

“Come on let’s go back to the apartment so we can talk” I linked my arm through hers and grabbed one of her bags while leading her out to the taxi rank.

“There Dri, we are here now what is so important? I have a test I should be studying for.” Lee spoke as soon as the door was shut.

I had no idea how this was going to go, hell I still wasn’t sure if I believed what she told me. “Listen Lee, I went home on the weekend…”

“Oh god what sob story is trying to spin this time?” Lee shook her head as she walked towards the kitchen and I silently followed her.

“Lee listen to me, I don’t even know if I believe it but this time, I don’t know there was something different about her.”

A Few Days Ago

“I really wish your sister was here for this but Adrianna we really need to talk. Please hear me out,” my mother pleaded with me and it was something she had never done before. She usually just demanded things.

I was silent at first, I didn’t know what to say to my mother. Over the years she had many attempts are trying to get Lee and I back on her side and usually I would just think this was the next but there was something different about her during this whole thing.

“What’s going on?”

She then launched into the story and proceeded to tell me about all these doctor’s visits she has been having to try and work out what is wrong with her. The whole time I’m thinking it’s the alcohol but when she said it was pancreatic cancer that’s when I stopped. My mother’s aunt died of pancreatic cancer and she didn’t touch a drop of the stuff her whole life.

“Adrianna?” my mother called out my name, I hadn’t even realised I stopped paying attention to her.

“Yes sorry…wait why the hell are you still drinking?” I yelled at her, I couldn’t believe this.

There was a point where I tried hard to convince my mother to stop drinking, that one day it was going to backfire on her. One would hope that his would stop her from drinking but it hasn’t.

“Don’t be like this, it helps with the pain. I was hoping your sister would be here for this, can you tell her?”

“Why would I do that? I don’t even know if I believe you, after everything this just seems like another farfetched story to try get Lee and I back!”

“Why would I lie about something like that? Why won’t you believe me?” my mother pouted at me and I couldn’t believe this.

“Seriously? You have to ask why I wouldn’t believe you, after everything?”

Present

“So mum is sick?” Lee said softly and I nodded

To begin with I didn’t believe my mother when she told she was sick, I just thought it was another story but after sitting there for two hours and her explaining everything and even offering me to go to one of her doctor’s appointments with her it started to settle in a bit more.

Lee knew I believed our mother because I dragged her all the way out here. If I believed it was just a farfetched story I would have told her on the phone to give her the heads up. Truth was, I was a little torn. There was something different about my mother when we were talking, she seemed not like herself and I don’t know if that’s what making me believe her or not.

“She has a doctor’s appointment in the morning, I think we should go and find out the truth. This way we can find out if the story is true, she doesn’t know we are coming so if it’s all fake she won’t be there and if she is, well we will know.” Lee nodded at me with tears in her eyes, I knew this was hard for her.

Lee loved our mother very much and that’s not saying I didn’t. I just didn’t have the habit of running back to her every time she came up with a new story and it always backfired on Lee and I had to be the one to pick up the pieces every single time. Lee would give anything to have the mother she had when we were little back, I remember times when she wasn’t drinking but those moments are rare and far between but that didn’t matter to Lee. Lee just wants her mother back and wants her to normal and this, her being sick ruins it all for her.



1 comment:

  1. I am so sorry for your loss! I hope the memories you have of your family member give you, and your family, peace during such a difficult time.

    I am a huge fan of this blog. I hope during your time away from it, you find the story line you desire and continue writing. You story and writing keep getting better. I'd be bummed if you ended this blog. #teamspencer

    ReplyDelete